Thursday 9 December 2021

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

 


The Rocky Horror Picture Show

In 94 I went to a cinema while in London to watch “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”, armed with rice, water gun and all the other paraphernalia required for a proper viewing of this movie. It was a weird and fun experience, but I remember zip from the movie itself. I know I have watched it since, but my memory of what went on in the movie is very sketchy.

Watching it again on the List I understand why. Despite a premise or plot that is completely out there wacky there is also absolutely no meat to the story. Par for the course you might say for a musical, but seriously, nothing in “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is coherent.

If you do not know or know of this movie you must have been living on the moon for the past several decades. For better or worse “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is an institution of bad taste.

The plot is, well hang on, that Janet (Susan Sarandon) and Brad (Barry Bostwick), a newly engaged couple, gets themselves stranded in the middle of nowhere in the rain. They seek help in a gothic castle where they are greeted by Riff Raff (Richard O’Brien), an Igor look-alike, and Magenta (Patricia Quinn) who carries some resemblance to Frankensteins Bride. Brad and Janet finds themselves in the midst of a Transylvanian Transvestite Convention. The party, and indeed the castle, is headed by the bisexual Frank N. Furter (Tim Curry), a crazy scientist who are creating Frankenstein like creatures like Rocky and Eddie. He also has machines to turn people into marble statues and back into people wearing stockings and underwear. It also turns out that Dr. Frank is an alien from another planet, though exactly what he is doing on Earth eluded me, and the castle is actually a spaceship…

If any of this made any sense, then I am impressed.

The raison-d’etre for “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is the music, the provocation and the wild ride of going beyond anything seen before or since. Somebody had a lot of fun thinking this out and I am certain that in the day, this would have caused a splash. Today, though, it is the incredible level of kitsch that keeps the movie alive. This is the epitome of trash.

Being a musical, the score is of course incredibly important. I do not feel I am the right one to judge the quality, but a song like “The Time Warp” was a staple at parties in my youth and I suppose the score in general have some merit.

For me personally it always frustrates me how musicals sacrifice the narrative to shoehorn in the songs, but in the case of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” the story is so confused and pointless that this really did not matter much. I was in it for the spectacle and that did not fail. Visually, this is not something you experience every day, whether it is Susan Sarandon going around most of the movie in her underwear, Tim Curry with heavy lipstick, mascara and women’s wear trying to bed both Janet and Brad, or Dr. Scott (Jonathan Adams) in a wheelchair wearing fishnet stockings and heels under his coat. This is just nuts.

You can still find midnight showings of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” and that in itself is crazy. I wonder if the audience is still bringing all the props to the party.

 


2 comments:

  1. I am of the opinion that we had a choice in the mid-'70s to become obsessed with a horror-themed rock opera movie and, like the collective idiots we are, we picked Rocky Horror instead of the vastly superior in every way Phantom of the Paradise.

    If you have space for it, track it down: it's glorious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it is symptomatic that I never heard of "The Phantom of the Paradise", but have known of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" since old enough to watch this sort of movie.
      I googled it and see it is from 1974, a year I am done with, but that does not mean that I cannot track it down and watch it outside the blog. I take your word for it being worthwhile.

      Delete