Sunday 5 May 2024

Sunless (Sans Soleil) (1983)

 


Sans Soleil

Now, having just spent 100 minutes watching “Sans Soleil” (“Sunless”), I am entirely unable to explain what I have just been watching. It is not that I did not like the movie, I just have no clue what this was about.

We are watching a lot of footage from a number of different places, among these, Guinea-Bissau, Iceland, Cape Verde, San Francisco and especially Japan. The footage has likely been filmed by filmmaker Chris Marker, though some stock footage seems to be mixed in. The imagery feels random, though there is some connection with the narration. It is just that the narration also feels random.

The English version, I watched, is narrated by Alexandra Stewart who tell a story as if told to her by another person, likely the cameraman behind the images (eg. Chris Marker). This story, supposed to be his impressions and ideas, is a musing on... I do not have a clue. Following the narration is like dropping in on a conversation where you missed the beginning and therefore lack the context, where sensible words therefore become meaningless sentences. There was something about death, about spirit worship, dancing, looking into the camera, playing videogames, living next to a volcano and the Hitchcock movie “Vertigo”. Yet, it may be nothing more than a travelogue of scenes and people and experiences made by the photographer.

It took me about half an hour to come to terms with that I likely would not work out what this is all about and instead just focus on the imagery. This is good, because there is a lot to look at.

The large majority of the scenes are from Japan, a place I am fascinated with. I have a visit to Japan scheduled for July and anything Japanese is interesting. These pictures, at least forty years old (though some maybe as old as the seventies), are of a different Japan than I know, and yet it is also very familiar to the country today. The temples, the ceremonies, the videogames, the trains or just people. Had these pictures been of any other place, they would have been half as interesting. In these pictures, people on the train look empty into the air, today they look empty into their phone. The dedication to the activities is the same, the focus and intensity. Japan is a country like no other.

Did I mention that I watched the Japanese movie “Perfect Days” last week? This would be an interesting double feature.

How the other images fit in I do not know. There were striking pictures of volcanoes in Iceland and dogs in the surf on Cape Verde, but the connection remained obscure.

If I should make a comparison then “Sans Soleil” reminded me of “India Song”, with its obscure narration and striking imagery, with the notable difference that the pictures in “Sans Soleil” are much more pleasant and less pretentious.

Whether the production as such is pretentious, well, that I will leave up to the viewer.


4 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to see what you have to say about Koyaanisqatsi when you get to it. There are some similarities, and they're from the same year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious too. It is already on my shelf, so it will not be too long.

      Delete
  2. It is more than mildly amusing for me that you & I had the exact same reaction to this film: complete cluelessness as to what this was about, but still kinda liked it for the imagery and (for me) what it was at least trying to do. I called this probably the most opaque film on the entire list, and I think I can stand by that statement.

    As per Steve's comment as well, I also drew a thematic connection to Koyaanisqatsi; that film, however, is a lot more readily discernable than Sans Soleil, using the direct juxtaposition of the images & clips it uses to put together its narrative thesis in a much more understandable way, and even without the narration that Sunless uses. It also has one of the best & most iconic movie scores of the 1980s. This one might be a bit too impenetrable to really enjoy, but Koyaanisqatsi is one of my favorites of its decade; if the potential similarity between these two brings up any anxiety or nervousness going into the latter, I'm hoping my comments here will help ease those concerns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to learn I am not alone 😁
      I can think of more opaque movies on the List, but not ones I actually liked.
      Now I am starting to get excited about Koyaanisqatsi. This looks like a winner.

      Delete